Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Friday, July 9, 2010

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit by Judith Kerr

When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit is a children's novel, by Judith Kerr, first published in 1971. It is a semi-autobiographical story of a young Jewish girl who is forced to flee her home in Germany in 1933 with her family to escape the Nazis, who her father, a writer, had campaigned against. The family escaped through Switzerland, spent some time in Paris, before finally arriving in England in 1936.

My review on this book:

One of the favourite books of my childhood. I used to reread this obsessively, though it's been a long time since I last read it. But I found it a very touching and captivating story of how a child experienced having to flee from country to country after Hitler rose to power in Germany and then also began to overpower other countries. It didn't encumber the storytelling with the sort of historical detail that would have been tiresome to a child, but still gave me a vivid image of what it was like to live in such a time period

No comments:

Post a Comment